Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of Wyoming
Laramie, WY, 82071
phone: (307) 766 - 3162
fax: (307) 766 - 2652
- 09/2007 – Present Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
PHYS 1110 and 1120 (General Physics for pre-medecine, veterenary, and biology students.
- 08/2003 – 05/2006 Astronomy Department, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
Robotics Telescopes, CCD, Differential Image Motion Monitor (DIMM).
Meade Telescope manipulation
- 01/2001 - 06/2003 Space and Atmospheric Department, Arecibo Observatory/NAIC, Arecibo, PR
- 06/1999 – 12/2002 Arecibo Observatory/NAIC, Arecibo, PR
Student Research Assistant for Senior Research Scientist
Data reducer and analyzer of VLA spectral data.
Creation of a catalog of Methanol Maser for calibration purposes of the Very Large Array and observations of massive star.
- 1998, summer Cornell University, Astronomy Dept. Ithaca, NY
Research Assistant in Summer Internship
Designer of the mechanical calibration system of a new far-infrared and submm spectrometer, SPIFI, to be used in conjunction with other major telescopes.
- 09/2007 – Present University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
- 08/2003 – 08/2007 San Diego State University
M.S. in Astronomy with thesis "The Evolved Stars of the Globular Cluster M 55"
- 08/1996 – 12/2001 University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez Campus
B.S. in Physics.
Minor in Pure Mathematics.
Magna Cum Laude with general GPA: 3.18, and specialty GPA: 3.55
- Experience and knowledge in working with Windows, Unix, Linux and Mac operating systems and related programs.
- FORTRAN and Matlab knowledge as programming languages and tools for scientific problem solvers.
- Research and independent working skills
- Fluidity in speaking and writing in both Spanish and English.
- Vargas Álvarez, C. A. & Sandquist, E. L. 2007, AJ, 134, 825
- Kurtz, S., Hofner, P., & Vargas Álvarez, C. 2004, ApJ, 155, 149
- Serio, A. W., Kim, J. A., Reimer, T. W., Rosenfield, P. A., Vargas-Alvarez, C. A., Orosz, J. A., & Welsh, W. F. 2004, American Astronomical Society Meeting 205
- Kurtz, S., Hofner, P., Vargas, C., & Díaz-Merced, W. 2001, Proceedings of IAU Symposium #205
- Vargas, C., Hofner, P., Kurtz, S., & Merced, W. 2000, American Astronomical Society Meeting 196
- Vargas, C., Hofner, P., Kurtz, S. Search for Methanol Masers on Massive Stars, 36th ACS Junior Technical Meeting, 21st Puerto Rico Interdisciplinary Scientific Meeting, Pontifical Catholic University, March 10, 2001.
- Vargas, C., and Gordon, S. Design and Optimization of the Calibration System of SPIFI, Twelfth Undergraduate Research Forum, Cornell University, summer 1998.